Court Reserves Judgement on Shahzain Bugti’s Bail; Verdict Expected Today

The Baloch Hal News

QUETTA: The judge of Anti-Terrorism Court (ATC) one, Muhammad Ismail, remanded the provincial president of Jahmoori Watan Party (JWP) Shahzain Bugti and his 26 co-accused for three more days to police custody and also reserved the decision over his bail application.

The Baloch leader was arrested by the Frontier Corps (FC) personnel when they found a huge quantity of arms and ammunition, including anti aircraft guns, allegedly from Shahzain’s motorcade at Buleli check post Quetta on December 22. On his part, the Baloch leader rejected the charges and termed them as a ‘conspiracy’ against him.

Police had produced Shahzain Bugti and his 26 other co-accused before the ATC-one after completion of their 7 days remand in police custody here on Thursday. They were brought to court premises amid strict security measures while Shahzain was taken to court in an armored vehicle.

The public prosecutor requested the court to extend the remand of Mr.Bugti for 20 more days. However, after listening to the arguments, court remanded accused for three days to police custody.

Talking to the media, Shahzain’s lawyer, Mr. Mukaish Kohli Advocate, said that arguments had been completed over on plea of bail and court had reserved the decision which would be delivered today on Friday.

He said that the public prosecutor had requested to extend the remand for twenty more days and said that they had included four more people belonging to Chaman for investigation.

He said that police failed to provide report regarding seven days of remand when asked by the court of law. Thus, the court extended the remand and directed the police officials to produce the report in the next hearing. Otherwise, the accused would be handed over to judicial custody.

The advocate said that the court had been informed that police had failed to produce any evidence against Shahzain  and his bail application should, therefore, be accepted. The court had reserved the decision for today over the application.

“Once bail application gets approved, then remand will be ineffective,” he told the reporters.

Provincial President of JWP, Shahzain Bugti said that he had confidence and faith in judiciary and would accept its decision.

Talking to media after appearing before the court, Shahzain Bugti said that it was a conspiracy to deter him from leaidng an upcoming long march towards Dera Bugti.

“The long march will begin on its scheduled date on January 28th and if I am not released then my younger brother Guharam Bugti will lead it or someone else will do that,” he categorically said.

It may be mentioned JWP also rejected the joint investigation committee formed on the direction of Interior Minister and demanded of Supreme Court to carry out investigation in this case.